Sunday, April 13, 2014

Honey Banana Nut Oatmeal


Breakfast is crucial for my life. I don't think I've ever gone a day without eating breakfast, unless I've slept in past 11 or noon but that rarely happens to a married college student. 

I'm the type to roll out of bed and head to the kitchen first thing in the morning. I'll make coffee (just as crucial as breakfast), then try to decide what sounds good. I try to keep my options varied, but I can also eat the same meal for weeks, even months straight. 

I know not everyone is like this. My husband is unpredictable when it comes to breakfast. Some days he'll eat with me, other days he waits until it's almost time to leave for school and he'll grab something to-go like a fruit or granola bar. Other times he won't eat 'till lunch time and I find that crazy! If I had to wait that long, I'd probably die.

I've always been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I did some research on the web and here's a few things I found on why this is so:
- Keeps you in a good mood
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels 
- Keeps you from overeating at later meals
- Boosts your metabolism
- Improves memory 
- Weight control can be difficult to maintain if breakfast is skipped 

With that being said, I wanted to share with you all what I had for breakfast this morning. :) 

Honey Banana Nut Oatmeal

1/2 c. quick oats 
1/2 c. almond milk
1 tsp. honey 
2 tsp. walnuts
1 ripe banana

1. Pour oats and almond milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Follow the instructions on the quick oats container for microwave times. I usually heat mine for 1 min 45 sec.
2. Stir oatmeal after it's been heated to ensure that the cooked oats and milk have been mixed thoroughly. Add honey. Stir again. 
3. Add banana in slices and walnuts. Garnish with brown sugar if desired and enjoy! 

I'll be posting more breakfast options that are quick, healthy and tasty! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment