Tuesday, April 22, 2014

{How to Get Back Into the Exercise Routine}

I wanted to write a post over this particular topic because it's something that I have struggled with in the past. 

I've come up with every excuse in the book to avoid working out. I'll do it tomorrow. I'm too busy. I'm tired. I don't have any equipment at home. The gym is too far away. My eating habits would make working out pointless. As you can imagine, the list goes on and on. Looking back, I want to tell the old me, Get up! Stop making excuses. Just go workout. 

Instead of blaming the past, I focus on the changes I can make today that will impact my future. It's not always easy, but I know it'll definitely be worth it in the end. If you're wanting to get back into a workout routine, here are a few tips that helped me get back on track and continue to help me maintain a healthy workout routine every week. 

1. Revolve your schedule around exercise. I'm not saying to skip the important events that you've got planned out throughout the week, but if you know that you're going to be too exhausted to workout when you come home from school/work, try working out in the mornings. If you hate the thought of working out at the break of dawn, take a 15 minute power nap when you get home from a busy day and see how you feel then. It's amazing how much energy you'll gain back when you let your body rest for 15-20 minutes. You'll be going through your workout like a champ. ;)

{In my situation, I go to school everyday and especially since my graduation is only a few weeks away, things are getting hectic. I have papers and projects and all sorts of fun stuff due in a couple weeks; not only that, but the weather is getting warmer and everyone has something planned that they want to invite my husband and I to, so it's a really busy time for us. We like to workout together. I would definitely encourage you to find someone who is as motivated as you are about working out so you can constantly encourage each other. My husband and I tend to work out in the mornings - which is not my favorite - but with our crazy schedules, that's what works best for us.}

2. Do something you like while working out. If you love to read or have a favorite TV show that's either on Netflix or one you have recorded on your DVR, use that while working out! You'll be surprised at how fast your workout will fly by while you're keeping your mind preoccupied with something else. 



{The above picture is just one of many examples of workouts that you can do. Lately, I've been hitting the gym and using the elliptical machine. I need music while I workout. It pushes me to keep going, it motivates me, and there's no way I can workout without it. For you, that may not be the case and that's okay! Find out what works best for you and use it to your advantage.}

3. Change your attitude. When you start seeing exercise as a necessity that will benefit so many different areas of your life, you'll see it less as a chore and more as a habit, like taking a shower or brushing your teeth. You do those things for your hygiene, to prevent gum disease or cavities, to take care of your body so that it can be healthy but also to prevent complications later in life. Look within yourself and your life and come up with a few solid reasons why exercising should be part of your routine. Think of long-term ones, write them out and place them somewhere that you'll see everyday so you are constantly staying motivated.

{I used to exercise for the wrong reasons. I thought that if I had a desirable body, more people would like and talk to me. I always told myself, "Well, if I was skinny..." It was never healthy or fit. I would drive myself miserable because I told myself life would be better if I was thinner. It would constantly destroy my confidence and self-esteem. That was also back in middle school, high school and the beginning of college, and I feel like girls at those stages in life are constantly being pressured to be something they're not. Since then, I've learned that being healthy is what's most important to me. I don't think I'll ever have a 'skinny' body and that doesn't bother me anymore. I rather have all my insides, like my heart, lungs and other vital organs to be strong and healthy. I get more thrill out of the thought of being able to run a 5K marathon than I do fitting into a size 0. My body fat percentage is higher than the average person with the same height as me. I'm working towards bringing that down by exercising, eating healthy and incorporating weights to build muscle. My attitude has completely changed - and for the better.}

4. Don't let the number on the scale defy you. 


This picture pretty much says it all. Never feel like you didn't accomplish anything after working out. Every step counts. And don't obsess about that number on the scale! If you know that you're going to be tempted to weigh yourself every day, put it away! Have your friend/parent/significant other hide it from you. If having a scale motivates you, great! Use it as a tool for positive influence. But I know many people get strongly discouraged when the number on the scale doesn't line up with the progress they've done thus far. I know I'm guilty of this. In the past, I would get upset, then I would deprive myself of food because I felt that it was the reason behind why my weight was staying the same. It was wrong for more reasons than one. I wish someone would've told me: You're so much more than that number. Seriously. When you are constantly working out, you start to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you might even gain weight but lose inches. If you want to keep tabs on your progress, limit weighing yourself to once a week or every two weeks. Use a measuring tape for accurate results. Take before and after pictures. If you feel like you're not seeing results, keep pushing! Don't get discouraged! Remember why you started - to achieve a healthier you! 

5. Have a plan. Decide how/where  you're going to workout. Start with the resources you have at hand, like going for a walk through the neighborhood, using the internet to find free workout videos, or borrowing a workout from a friend or family member. Soak up some vitamin D during nice weather by going to a local trail or park in town. If a gym is more of your scene and you don't already have a membership, research the ones closest to you and call them for rates, specials and in some cases, you may receive a free pass for so many days that will allow you to experience what it would be like to be a member there. If you prefer to work at home, research workout plans that you like best and buy equipment to build an at-home gym. There's so many more options than the few I named. Don't feel limited! 


Obviously your diet plays a huge role into a healthy lifestyle, but that'll be a discussion all on its own. I plan on making a post over budgeting at the grocery store with healthy eating in mind, as well as some of the meals I eat on a day-to-day basis! 



No comments:

Post a Comment